Kapha is heavy, chilly, oily, and smooth by nature, thus a person should eat foods that are light, heated, dry, and rough to balance this dosha.
Foods to choose:
- Light fruits such as apples, pears, watermelon, pomegranates, apricots, and cranberries.
- Vegetables like broccoli, cabbage, celery, peas, turnips, mustard greens, beets, cilantro, etc. work well.
- Barley, granola, rye, amaranth, quinoa, millet and buckwheat are the recommended grains.
- Low fat dairy products like buttermilk and low-fat milk are suggested.
- Raw honey may be taken as sweetener.
- Lighter oils such as olive oil, almond oil, sunflower oil, and pure ghee are likely to be beneficial.
- Pumpkin and sunflower seeds are preferable to heavy nuts like cashews or pistachios.
- Leaner meats like chicken and recommended turkey over red meats.
Foods to avoid:
- Heavy and sour fruits like bananas, oranges, pineapples, avocado, coconut, dates, etc.
- Vegetables like avocado, cucumber and sweet potatoes.
- Grains such as couscous, oats, wheat and rice.
- Heavy dairy products like whole milk, sour cream, cheese, cottage cheese, ice-cream are suggested to be discarded from the diet.
- Eliminating sweeteners like jaggery, non-refined sugar, molasses, maple syrup, etc from the diet may be helpful.
Tips to Reduce Kapha:
- Consuming hot or warm beverages like ginger tea, herbal flavored tea, soups, spices like cinnamon, cloves, garlic, etc. is recommended to sharpen the taste buds and stimulate digestion.
- Keep warm by using heat pads or wearing layers.
- Detoxification through liquid or fruit-based diet may provide relief.
- Performing Ayurvedic neti pot may help balance kapha by removing congestion from lungs and respiratory track.
*Please note: The information on this website is solely for educational purposes and should not be used as a substitute for medical advice. We do not claim to diagnose, treat or cure any diseases. Kindly consult an Ayurvedic expert or licensed health practitioner before following any remedies suggested here.
To book an appointment with our Ayurveda expert click here.